Ginger’s On-Demand Mental Health App Available in Spanish for all 25M Users Early 2022
Ginger, the leader in on-demand mental healthcare, today announced Spanish language capabilities of Ginger’s entire on-demand mental health offering. Available to select Ginger clients in the fall and all Ginger members by early 2022, Ginger in Spanish will provide high-quality, culturally competent care, including behavioral health coaching via text, video-based therapy, and psychiatry sessions guided self-care content. Ginger recently announced they will be merging with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation. The combined entity, Headspace Health, will offer the world’s most accessible and comprehensive digital mental health and wellbeing platform.
Ginger – Now Available in Spanish
According to the announcement, over 41 million native Spanish speakers in the United States, yet only 8,000 Spanish-speaking psychologists in the U.S. This shortage of providers and difficulty to get an appointment leads many to avoid care altogether. Studies show that Spanish-speaking clients often feel less comfortable sharing personal information or emotions with an English-speaking therapist; in fact, therapy in a native language is proven to be twice as effective. Hispanic and Latinx communities also experience higher levels of stigma towards mental illness and psychotherapy than other communities. This stigma can deter individuals from seeking care, which can worsen mental health symptoms and hinder recovery.
Ginger’s on-demand, team-based care model, is currently available in Spanish to employees of select employer clients and will be available to all Ginger members by early 2022. Learn more about how employers can provide inclusive mental healthcare for a multicultural workforce with Ginger on September 15, 2021, at 3:00 p.m. EDT/12:00 p.m. PDT. Speakers on this webcast will include Désirée Pascual, chief people officer at Ginger; Erika Austin, Ph.D., senior manager of coaching services at Ginger; and Enrique Rubio, founder of Hacking HR. Register today.
Ginger members who prefer to receive care in Spanish will access the entire mobile app experience, from intake to messaging and care delivery. Capabilities include:
- Behavioral health coaching: Spanish-speaking coaches will provide scheduled and on-demand coaching sessions within minutes for members. Ginger’s coaches are required to have a minimum of two years of coaching or counseling experience and a Master’s degree in the psychology-related field or coaching certification from an NBC-HWC approved training program.
- Therapy and psychiatry: Members can access clinical care in Spanish from licensed therapists and psychiatrists via video within days. Ginger therapists and psychiatrists come from diverse backgrounds and are licensed as LCSWs, LMFTs, LMHCs, LPCs, and M.D.s. They are trained on various treatment modalities, such as CBT, and treatment specialties, such as depression, anxiety, and work stress. Ginger clinicians work collaboratively with coaches to support members between sessions.
- Guided self-care content: Members will have access to self-guided content in Spanish that tackles issues related to stress, relationships, cultural norms, and more. Content will include quick tips and activity cards, videos, classes, workshops, and audio-guided activities.
- Clinically relevant outcomes measurement: PHQ-9, GAD-7, and Resilience surveys will be provided in Spanish to track members’ symptom improvement over time and assess clinical outcomes, all driven by the Ginger on-demand mental health system. Ginger’s on-demand, team-based care model has produced an average of 59% improvement in anxiety and 70% improvement in depression.
- Communications materials: Employers and health plan clients who launch Ginger in Spanish to their members will receive a complete communications toolkit, including emails, flyers, and other materials to promote Ginger to their Spanish-speaking members.
Unfortunately, many of our most vulnerable people are often those who speak English as a second language. Offering Ginger’s full continuum of care in Spanish is an enormous step forward in making mental healthcare accessible to those who have been underserved for so long.Desiree Pascual, Chief People Officer at Ginger
Ginger’s Busy 2021
Ginger has had a busy 2021. In August, Ginger and Headspace entered into a definitive agreement to merge to meet escalating global demand for mental health support. The combined entity, Headspace Health, will offer the world’s most accessible and comprehensive digital mental health and wellbeing platform.
Through its Headspace for Work offering, Headspace offers its mindfulness products and services to more than 2,200 companies, such as Starbucks, Adobe, Hyatt, and Unilever, to help them build healthier, more productive cultures and higher-performing organizations. The Headspace app is available in five languages across 190+ countries worldwide. A month before the merger announcement, Ginger announced Ginger for Teens, expanding the company’s full continuum of mental healthcare for adolescents ages 13-17.
Ginger believes that everyone deserves access to excellent mental healthcare. Its on-demand system brings together behavioral health coaches, therapists, and psychiatrists, who work as a team to deliver personalized care right through your smartphone. The Ginger app provides members with access to the support they need within seconds, 24/7, 365 days a year. Millions of people have access to Ginger through leading employers, health plans, and partners. The World Economic Forum has recognized Ginger as a Technology Pioneer, Fast Company as one of the Most Innovative Companies in Healthcare, and UCSF’s Digital Health Awards as the 2020s leading Mental Health Company.